"NEVER, NEVER, NEVER, NEVER GIVE UP."~Winston Churchill

Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Pee and lots of dirt... Sassiness and lots of questions: LOVING IT

So I'm on week 3 of this new adventure of mine. It's funny how life can change in an instant. I have cleaned up so much dirt I can hardly stand it. I'm ready to just jack hammer my kitchen floor and leave the foundation-hey it wouldn't look much different! The bathroom smells like a combination of pee and that yucky boy smell when they are sweaty. Not only do I have my boy here, I also have a few neighbor boys here too (although I know mine is the culprit for the pee). So many times I have heard mom's of boys ask "Why can't boys AIM when they pee?" Oh they know how to AIM all right!!! They are AIMING for the wall--or the beautiful vase filled with hand picked sea shells your daughter gathered her first summer with her great-grandmother...THEY KNOW HOW TO AIM, trust me. It's completely intentional. I bath him and two minutes later he has toothpaste rubbed all over his tummy..."Mommy I made a happy face!" I feel like I should have lost 10 pounds just by doing the damn "bend and snap" cleaning up after this kid.

Now, the girl, is complicated. She's almost a contradiction by definition. She loves to hang out and "chat" with her friends on her fake cell phone her auntie bought her. She looks at herself in the mirror constantly and brushes her hair. She loves to put skirts on and sparkly tank tops. She loves bikinis. She loves Justin Beiber. But, she still chooses to play with the boys, riding bikes and seeing who can yell the loudest. She will watch Bakugan and Zeke and Luther. She will be the first to start the burping contest. She eats hamburgers like a man. She just takes a few minutes a day to be a girl...secretly in her room or in the car with mom. The car, I have found is where all the questions come out and this 7-year-old has A LOT of them!!!

How have I let the past 4 years slip right by? I keep asking myself that over and over...The biggest realization I am having is that I did it to myself. I chose not to take advantage of these moments. It's not that I didn't have the chance before to enjoy them. It's that I let everything else become a priority.  This happened in my life to remind me to slow down. We won't get these years back. I hope hearing this reminds you to slow down too. No matter your schedule or situation, please just take a minute to enjoy every step of the way...You deserve it.

No comments:

Post a Comment